Wednesday, September 20, 2006

Job No. 18 - Heavyweight Creative

In this enlightened day and age, when it is illegal to discriminate against individuals because of their race or gender and where it will soon be illegal to discriminate because of their age, it seems ridiculous to me that companies are still blatantly advertising for specific aesthetic qualities. Yet, today, that is exactly what I found on the Guardian Jobs website when I discovered the position of Heavyweight Creative.

Intrigued by the job description that asked for someone to "to head up the division, motivate, lead and inspire" I thought maybe I would be in with a shot (after all, I am very inspirational). However, when I looked up the guide to different weights I was incredibly disappointed to find that my current weight of 85kg places me firmly in the cruiserweight category, which is a full 6kg short of attaining heavyweight.

I evaluated my options - I could either choose to start pumping iron and throw myself into a crazy Iron Magazine routine (where I would need to Train like a Barbarian!) or I could just sit on the sofa for a few nights and eat Indian takeaways. The second option sounded more attainable but still I felt uncomfortable - why should I be forced to change the way I look, purely for a job? I decided to apply anyway and question their selection process in my application letter...

Hi Steve

I would like to apply for the position of Heavyweight Creative, as advertised on the Guardian website. I have attached a recent CV with this email…

I have worked in the creative industries for twelve years, many of those in a dual managerial/creative role, and believe I have what it takes to motivate, lead and inspire.

My principal query concerns how greatly aesthetics will affect candidates in the selection process? I fall just below the discussed category and I’m curious as to whether this will have a negative effect on my chances – and, if so, whether it would be beneficial for my prospects to bulk prior to the interview process?

Best Regards

Oliver.

It's very sad that the creative industry is so weight obsessed, but I am beginning to appreciate the harsh realities of modern working life. If that means that I have to eat my way into a job then, by God, that's just what I'm going to do...

2 comments:

City Slicker said...

I agree with retentive and also suggest you ditch the strong tea which can never be that strong anyway and head for the real stuff - a black put hairs on your chest espresso.

Oliver Davies said...

Hi Retentive - I did think of linking to jobs but the problem I found was that, due to the transient nature of the internet, many of the job listings don't last very long and, in a week's time, may result in a broken link...

City Slicker; your espresso idea is duly noted. However, your suggestion relies upon the assumption that I actually want to wake up! ;-)