Wednesday, September 27, 2006

Job No. 25 - Senior Lecturer in Creative Music Technologies

Today marks the 25th job I've applied for - I am officially a quarter of the way through my quest to apply for 100 jobs that I really shouldn't apply for - and I intend to celebrate my milestone in a few minutes time with a slice of coffee cake and a cup of tea...

However, before I do that, I have to tell you about an amazing opportunity that I stumbled across today thanks to the Music Jobs website - the position of Senior Lecturer in Creative Music Technologies at Bath Spa University.

This job is quite possibly perfect for me - it combines creativity (which I have plenty of) with music (which I love) and then proceeds to whip them up into a technology-laden whole. And I think it's brilliant that, in this day and age - where music has become so commercial and sanitised - that there are Universities who still dedicate their time to making music in creative ways - I mean, how else can we expect age-old musical art forms (such as playing the spoons) to be preserved for future generations?

Although the advert said that it was essential for me to have a first degree in Music Technology and extensive experience as a professional musician I thought there might be a way around this - if I could impress them not just with my commitment to creative music, but also in my vision for future research projects (I hear Universities are very keen on research). I am sure that the statement, below, that I gave them in support of my application is bound to win them over:

I am extremely interested in the area of Creative Music Technologies and believe that I could energise and motivate the entire department. I believe it is possible to create music from a variety of everyday objects and am pleased that Bath shares my vision - to make music as creatively as possible. In my kitchen I have set up a series of saucepans in a carefully constructed order that allows me to play Eine Kleine Nacht Musik by tapping them with a wooden spatula and I have plans for a far larger scale research project that would see a number (I anticipate needing 34) of radiator panels arranged on a football pitch in such a manner that, when struck firmly with a stout mallet, would be capable of playing God Save The Queen.

With such dedication to creativity and research, I am certain that Bath Spa University will be willing to waive their normal system of requirements and hire me immediately...

7 comments:

TheThirdPoliceman said...

Earlier, I found a great job for you to apply for - a "Floor Support Officer" - unfortunately, the link to it was broken, but I'm sure you could have whipped up an interesting cover letter for that one!

Martin said...

I'm loving this blog, each post just gets better. I wish I could write like this.

A. Grammar-Checker said...

I love your blog, a friend sent me a link and I'm reading it for the first time this lunchtime. Crying and snortingly funny. My colleagues are now convinced that I'm deranged.

I was unemployed a couple of years ago and I just did the predictable temping thing. How much more creative and inspiring your response to adversity is!

Oliver Davies said...

I'm glad you're enjoying the blog!

hoorhuslu said...

These spas from our Elite Spa Range through to the premium Saratoga Spas are from well established spa manufacturers who have been producing quality spas for a long time and use only the highest quality components and are all 'Hand Finished'.

The range of Spa's that we stock will suit any individual budget and/or hydrotherapy requirement. The manufacturers that we deal with for our range of Spa's only use the most reliable equipment, such as proprietary jets and fully compliant European CE and TUV approved pumps, heaters & Controllers.

Our range of Spas start from as little as �2995 through to �13000 for our largest luxury spa, so click on the links and explore our range of Spa's and we think you'll agree that our these spas offer great value for money, performance and quality.
[a href="http://www.celtic-spas.co.uk"]Hot tubs | Spas[/a]
pool treatment http://www.celtic-spas.co.uk pool treatment

hoorhuslu said...

These spas from our Elite Spa Range through to the premium Saratoga Spas are from well established spa manufacturers who have been producing quality spas for a long time and use only the highest quality components and are all 'Hand Finished'.

The range of Spa's that we stock will suit any individual budget and/or hydrotherapy requirement. The manufacturers that we deal with for our range of Spa's only use the most reliable equipment, such as proprietary jets and fully compliant European CE and TUV approved pumps, heaters & Controllers.

Our range of Spas start from as little as �2995 through to �13000 for our largest luxury spa, so click on the links and explore our range of Spa's and we think you'll agree that our these spas offer great value for money, performance and quality.
[a href="http://www.celtic-spas.co.uk"]Hot tubs | Spas[/a]
troubleshooting swimming pool acidity http://www.celtic-spas.co.uk troubleshooting swimming pool acidity

hoorhuslu said...

These spas from our Elite Spa Range through to the premium Saratoga Spas are from well established spa manufacturers who have been producing quality spas for a long time and use only the highest quality components and are all 'Hand Finished'.

The range of Spa's that we stock will suit any individual budget and/or hydrotherapy requirement. The manufacturers that we deal with for our range of Spa's only use the most reliable equipment, such as proprietary jets and fully compliant European CE and TUV approved pumps, heaters & Controllers.

Our range of Spas start from as little as �2995 through to �13000 for our largest luxury spa, so click on the links and explore our range of Spa's and we think you'll agree that our these spas offer great value for money, performance and quality.
[a href="http://www.celtic-spas.co.uk"]Hot tubs | Spas[/a]
algaecide http://www.celtic-spas.co.uk algaecide