Wednesday, September 27, 2006

Job No. 25 - Senior Lecturer in Creative Music Technologies

Today marks the 25th job I've applied for - I am officially a quarter of the way through my quest to apply for 100 jobs that I really shouldn't apply for - and I intend to celebrate my milestone in a few minutes time with a slice of coffee cake and a cup of tea...

However, before I do that, I have to tell you about an amazing opportunity that I stumbled across today thanks to the Music Jobs website - the position of Senior Lecturer in Creative Music Technologies at Bath Spa University.

This job is quite possibly perfect for me - it combines creativity (which I have plenty of) with music (which I love) and then proceeds to whip them up into a technology-laden whole. And I think it's brilliant that, in this day and age - where music has become so commercial and sanitised - that there are Universities who still dedicate their time to making music in creative ways - I mean, how else can we expect age-old musical art forms (such as playing the spoons) to be preserved for future generations?

Although the advert said that it was essential for me to have a first degree in Music Technology and extensive experience as a professional musician I thought there might be a way around this - if I could impress them not just with my commitment to creative music, but also in my vision for future research projects (I hear Universities are very keen on research). I am sure that the statement, below, that I gave them in support of my application is bound to win them over:

I am extremely interested in the area of Creative Music Technologies and believe that I could energise and motivate the entire department. I believe it is possible to create music from a variety of everyday objects and am pleased that Bath shares my vision - to make music as creatively as possible. In my kitchen I have set up a series of saucepans in a carefully constructed order that allows me to play Eine Kleine Nacht Musik by tapping them with a wooden spatula and I have plans for a far larger scale research project that would see a number (I anticipate needing 34) of radiator panels arranged on a football pitch in such a manner that, when struck firmly with a stout mallet, would be capable of playing God Save The Queen.

With such dedication to creativity and research, I am certain that Bath Spa University will be willing to waive their normal system of requirements and hire me immediately...

2 comments:

Martin said...

I'm loving this blog, each post just gets better. I wish I could write like this.

Oliver Davies said...

I'm glad you're enjoying the blog!